Easy to use breathing tips
It is logical that when you are aiming to improving your singing it has a lot to do with the correct breathing techniques. One of the most important elements of singing in its own right, learning how to breathe properly will enable you to hold a note for longer too. This is for several reasons.
Not only is it a must because you need enough breath to hold the note itself but it also helps you to give it quality and maintain its pitch. These points are just as important as holding the note itself but we will talk about that shortly. In the meantime, we have already discussed basic breathing exercises for singing but it is worth discussing those that specifically help you to hold a note for longer.
- Take a deep breath in and close your eyes. As you inhale, feel your entire body expand from your torso to your lower back. Feel the breath touch every element of your upper body and then release it slowly, singing a note of your choice as you do. You will be able to feel the control and maintain it after a few tries.
- Stand still and take a quick but deep breath in. Place your finger in front of your mouth and exhale. Listen to the amount of noise made. The more noise the less control and more tension there is in your vocal chords. Try again until you can get it almost silent.
- Keep an upright posture. If you slouch or your shoulders become rounded then you will find that it becomes harder to hold a note. You will feel as if you are becoming short of breath or can not project.
- When you breath to sing make sure your shoulders do not rise too high. When you take in breath your torso will open up naturally, and your shoulders may rise slightly. Your approach should be on concentrating on opening your rib cage out to the side.
- Pay attention to your breathing for an hour and see what you can do. The more aware of your breathing you are the easier it will become to control it.
These points will help you to maintain the quality of notes, including their tone and pitch. You will have no problems at all maintaining notes when you adhere to these points and learn how to breathe properly.